Thursday, April 30, 2009

Working and Sorting

As the grand daughter of a farmer and greenhouse owner, I was always working in my grandfather's field, or the greenhouses. We had to open by Mother's Day. It was hard and wet and dirty work. I really loved it though. Until I got older. Teen years. Then my mom started her own little garden to be able to bring products to the Farmer's Market with my grandfather's stuff. Finally, I shunned working outside and with plants altogether. I don't know why, I just did. Even to this day, I HATE working in the yard, I hate planting flowers and pulling weeds. I like to buy the flowers already in hanging baskets or let J plant while I supervise.

But, here lately, I've been working out in our yard. You can tell that the last owners did not rake this yard at all. I got a HUGE pile of leaves out from the front and I'm still not done. I started in on the back, but only on one side of the yard. It's a mess. You can tell there used to be grass, but since they left leaves on them all the time, it's pretty much killed the grass. So now it's mainly just dirt with some patches of grass here and there. I find the time to rake when the kids are outside. They sometimes help by picking up the tree branches and whatnot's. I just can't believe that I'm doing it. Without the help of my hubby. I can't do too much, because my poor back lets me know when it's had enough, but the yard is starting to look great and even J has said it looks so much better. For now, we are going to plant some grass seed, but here in the next couple of years, we are going to be redoing the whole yard. Front and back. We'll bring in top soil and replant grass seeds and just have a grand getting it to where we want it to be.

My brother in law and his wife sent us over more hand me downs. I've been going through them. Sorting some out for A and S. Then setting stuff aside that S can use in school (if he's accepted that is). I still can't believe my little baby boy will be going to school soon. Even if it is just Pre-K. So I'm off to sort some more and be thankful that the boys have older cousins! Woot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment