Monday, March 26, 2012

I'm Trying!!

So, I have a HUGE fear of going to the dentist. The only time I was actually ok was right after my first husband died and I needed a tooth pulled and when they mentioned that I could pay an extra $10 for gas, I slapped that money on the table to fast, I think I scared the billing lady. I had met J by then, and he graciously offered to take me and then drive me around to get my medication filled and take care of me for the weekend. Also, he got called my husband and seeing as I had some laughing gas, I cracked up and thought it was all so funny. Little did I know, eh?

Anyhow...

Since then, 8 years ago, I have only been to the dentist 4 more times. 1 was to get another tooth pulled while I was pregnant with S and I could only have the numbing stuff. That was horrible, to say the very least. The other 3 times were for consultations and a second opinion. So yeah...I really need to go again, seeing as I need 3 teeth fixed immediately and a lot of other work done.

When J was off work, I made two appointments. I had to cancel the first one because S got sick and I had to take him to the doctors and the second time, I was sick to my stomach and I called and cancelled at 6:30 in the morning and I had an 8 a.m. appointment. I felt better later on though, so, yeah. Don't know what that was all about.

Trust me when I say that I KNOW how important dental health is. I know that lots of bad stuff can happen if you don't get things taken care of. I have tried Valium, and it does no good. The doctor I do like, doesn't know if he can pull my two teeth that need it because they are really really bad. He also has free laughing gas, so that's why I like him, too.

It totally sucks having a fear that you have no control over. It's not even about the pain, because I've been through a LOT of pain in my life. For goodness sake's, they are going to have to gas me to clean my freekin' teeth, too! I also have a really sensitive gag reflex, and also a short top palate. I was told that was probably why I gag so easily. Who knows...

So when the car we just bought, gets fixed (it just needs a head gasket put on), then I will, again, make an appointment and try to keep it. I can't drive J's car because it's a standard, and he works 3rd shift, so going back into town after he's worked all night isn't much of an option for him, and even though I know he would do it, I would never make him unless it was an emergency. It should be going into the shop in a week or so, and take maybe a week to fix.  So I have two or three weeks to pump myself up and tell my inner child to grow up and put some big girl panties on and deal with it.

All that for another consultation and x-rays. Lord knows I need severe mental help. Ugh.

But, I'm going to try. 3rd time's a charm, right?

Right??!!

1 Comment:

  1. Carrie said...
    I do not blame you one bit. I hate the dentist, too!

    (Did I tell you about the time I walked in to my appointment and started having a panic attack - complete with crying and hyperventilating? They made me leave the waiting room because they didn't want me to scare the kids! We rescheduled that appointment and I left with a prescription for valium for the next one... it helped. Maybe you need a higher dosage because I was all "Heeeeeey everybodeeeee! Let's do this!!!" lol!)

Post a Comment