Friday, April 13, 2012

That time

I always said that if any of my boys expressed interest in God, that it might be time to attend a church. I haven't been to a church since I was around 18. Almost 16 years. I don't know what pulled me away at first. Then when S was born, that just made me that more mad and confused and hurt. So why should I go?

S has expressed interest, and has asked questions. Questions I know I can't answer and only those well versed can. So I've come to a fork in the road. Do I continue to tell him that God is someone who is always there and looks out for you, and continue to not go to church or do we start going to church and let him experience it for himself? I want my children to experience everything this world has to offer. Nature, learning, religion, politics..whatever they want.

:insert sigh here:

Darn this parenting stuff, it really does suck sometimes...

1 Comment:

  1. Carrie said...
    Honestly, I've always learned more on my own as far as religion goes. We lived next to a church when I was little and sometimes, I'd get myself up on Sunday mornings, get ready and go over for Sunday School. I don't remember anything that I learned though. I remember more of the things I read about on my own.

    I started taking Kasen to church but after a few times, he declared it "boring" and doesn't want to go anymore. So, I bought a children's Bible http://www.amazon.com/Early-Readers-Bible-Gilbert-Beers/dp/0310701392/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1334327513&sr=8-9 and every time we sit down and do school, I read one of the stories, starting from the beginning.

    We also have We Choose Virtue cards that I won on a blog contest. http://www.wechoosevirtues.com/shop/virtue-flash-cards-faith-based-family We read one after the Bible reading but I use them mostly when he is doing something I don't want him to do, usually coinciding with a time out. I grab the card that relates to the misbehavior and we go over what it means. I have them hanging on the wall and this morning, I caught him trying to read them on his own so we started talking about them.

    Anyway, my point is I don't think you necessarily HAVE to go to church. Just find ways to introduce religion in your daily lives. I like the Bible I got because the stories are short - maybe 3-4 pages long. They would be perfect for a quick read/discussion before bed that would send them to sleep tihnking about the story.

Post a Comment